Apr 19, 2014, 4:28 PM EDT
The Pirates announced this afternoon that they have designated Travis Ishikawa for assignment in order to make room for Ike Davis on the active roster. Davis, who was acquired from the Mets yesterday, will start at first base tonight against the Brewers and bat sixth against Matt Garza.
Ishikawa made Pittsburgh’s Opening Day roster out of spring training, but he hit just .206 (7-for-34) with one home run and an 11/3 K/BB ratio over 15 games.
The Pirates appear likely to move forward with a platoon at first base. While Davis should receive regular at-bats against right-handers, Gaby Sanchez figures to still see playing time against southpaws.
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 0
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 86
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 71
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 70
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 73
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)