Apr 19, 2014, 4:28 PM EDT
The Pirates announced this afternoon that they have designated Travis Ishikawa for assignment in order to make room for Ike Davis on the active roster. Davis, who was acquired from the Mets yesterday, will start at first base tonight against the Brewers and bat sixth against Matt Garza.
Ishikawa made Pittsburgh’s Opening Day roster out of spring training, but he hit just .206 (7-for-34) with one home run and an 11/3 K/BB ratio over 15 games.
The Pirates appear likely to move forward with a platoon at first base. While Davis should receive regular at-bats against right-handers, Gaby Sanchez figures to still see playing time against southpaws.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 4
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 85
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (86)