Apr 19, 2014, 4:28 PM EDT
The Pirates announced this afternoon that they have designated Travis Ishikawa for assignment in order to make room for Ike Davis on the active roster. Davis, who was acquired from the Mets yesterday, will start at first base tonight against the Brewers and bat sixth against Matt Garza.
Ishikawa made Pittsburgh’s Opening Day roster out of spring training, but he hit just .206 (7-for-34) with one home run and an 11/3 K/BB ratio over 15 games.
The Pirates appear likely to move forward with a platoon at first base. While Davis should receive regular at-bats against right-handers, Gaby Sanchez figures to still see playing time against southpaws.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 13
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 37
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 28
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 46
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)