Apr 19, 2014, 4:28 PM EDT
The Pirates announced this afternoon that they have designated Travis Ishikawa for assignment in order to make room for Ike Davis on the active roster. Davis, who was acquired from the Mets yesterday, will start at first base tonight against the Brewers and bat sixth against Matt Garza.
Ishikawa made Pittsburgh’s Opening Day roster out of spring training, but he hit just .206 (7-for-34) with one home run and an 11/3 K/BB ratio over 15 games.
The Pirates appear likely to move forward with a platoon at first base. While Davis should receive regular at-bats against right-handers, Gaby Sanchez figures to still see playing time against southpaws.
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 3
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 5
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 21
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 88
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)