Apr 19, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
This is pretty unbelievable.
Astros prospect Delino DeShields, Jr. was hit in the face by a fastball last night while playing with Double-A Corpus Christi. He was taken to a hospital, where Brian McTaggart of MLB.com reports that he was diagnosed with a fractured cheek bone. Double-A Corpus Christi manager Keith Bodie said it’s going to be a “very uncomfortable road back.”
DeShields took a picture of his injury and sent it to a friend, who decided to share it with the world on Twitter. I’m warning you, this is pretty scary-looking:
There’s another one from his sister here, which might be even scarier. Feel free to check it out if you want.
DeShields, 21, hit .317/.405/.468 with five home runs, 54 RBI, and 51 stolen bases over 111 games last season with High-A Lancaster. Baseball America ranked him as Houston’s No. 13 prospect over the winter. You might remember his dad, who had a 13-year career in the major leagues.
Here’s hoping DeShields gets back to normal soon.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)