Apr 19, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
This is pretty unbelievable.
Astros prospect Delino DeShields, Jr. was hit in the face by a fastball last night while playing with Double-A Corpus Christi. He was taken to a hospital, where Brian McTaggart of MLB.com reports that he was diagnosed with a fractured cheek bone. Double-A Corpus Christi manager Keith Bodie said it’s going to be a “very uncomfortable road back.”
DeShields took a picture of his injury and sent it to a friend, who decided to share it with the world on Twitter. I’m warning you, this is pretty scary-looking:
There’s another one from his sister here, which might be even scarier. Feel free to check it out if you want.
DeShields, 21, hit .317/.405/.468 with five home runs, 54 RBI, and 51 stolen bases over 111 games last season with High-A Lancaster. Baseball America ranked him as Houston’s No. 13 prospect over the winter. You might remember his dad, who had a 13-year career in the major leagues.
Here’s hoping DeShields gets back to normal soon.
- So that Juan Uribe to the Braves trade is back on … 0
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 13
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 68
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)