Apr 20, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT
MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch had the awful news first:
The MRI on RHP Ivan Nova last night has revealed a partial tear of ulnar collateral ligament of his right elbow. He will be placed on the disabled list today and will be further examined tomorrow in New York by Yankees team physician Dr. Chris Ahmad.
A torn UCL (even a partially-torn one) pretty much always leads to Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery, which would sideline Nova through the early part of the 2015 season. He posted an impressive 3.10 ERA with 116 strikeouts in 139 1/3 innings last summer for the Yankees but had surrendered 32 hits and 19 earned runs in 20 2/3 frames this year.
The 27-year-old joins a long list of high-profile pitchers who have suffered torn elbow ligaments in 2014. Some of those names: Matt Moore of the Rays, Patrick Corbin of the Diamondbacks, Kris Medlen of the Braves, Jarrod Parker of the A’s, Brandon Beachy of the Braves, and Pirates prospect Jameson Taillon.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 34
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 67
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 59
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)