Apr 20, 2014, 8:52 AM EDT
With a victory on Sunday and a Yankees loss, the Blue Jays can take over sole possession of first place in the American League East standings.
Mark Buehrle pitched seven innings of shutout ball and Jose Reyes had an RBI single in his first game back from a hamstring strain as Toronto rolled to a 5-0 win over the Indians on Saturday afternoon in Cleveland. Buehrle yielded just four hits and is now 4-0 on the season with a 0.64 ERA in 28 innings.
“The slower you throw the better off you are,” the soft-tossing right-hander told reporters after his outing. “I haven’t changed anything in 10 or 11 years. I’m not going to keep asking questions. I’m going to go out there and run with it and see what happens.”
The Blue Jays (10-8) currently own the best run differential (+6) in the AL East.
Your Saturday box scores and recaps:
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)