Apr 22, 2014, 11:31 AM EDT
Bob Uecker has already been immortalized in bronze outside Miller Park for his several decades of wonderful service as the Brewers’ radio announcer. Now he’s getting a second statue which is more about honoring his career as an everyman/pitchman.
It’s in the last row of the so-called “Uecker Seats” in the upper deck, and pays tribute to his time in those Miller Lite commercials in the 70s and 80s in which Uecker is considered not good enough to be given anything but cheap seats:
The statue has Uecker seated with an empty seat next to him, providing a perfect photo opportunity for fans at the ball park. The statue is made of bronze but also has color effects and was designed by Brian Maughan, the artist responsible for the four statues outside of Miller Park of Uecker, Robin Yount, Hank Aaron and Bud Selig.
Now, to complete things, Uecker needs a Harry Doyle statue someplace in Cleveland and a statue representing his time on “Mr. Belvedere” someplace in Pittsburgh.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 66
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (67)