Apr 25, 2014, 9:55 PM EST
C. Trent Rosecrans reports that Reds catcher Devin Mesoraco left Friday night’s game against the Braves with a strained left hamstring. Mesoraco led off the top of the seventh with a single, advanced to second base on a wild pitch, and scored on Billy Hamilton‘s double. MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon says Mesoraco appeared to trip rounding third base. Mesoraco didn’t take the field for the bottom half of the inning, as he was instead replaced by Brayan Pena.
It sounds like the injury could require a stint on the disabled list. Catcher Tucker Barnhart was taken out of Louisville’s lineup in the seventh inning of Friday night’s Triple-A affair against Syracuse. Should Mesoraco need to hit the DL, Pena would take over on an everyday basis and Barnhart would be the back-up.
Mesoraco has been on fire to start the 2014 season, carrying a 1.338 OPS in 50 plate appearances for the Reds.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 20
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)