Apr 25, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
C. Trent Rosecrans reports that Reds catcher Devin Mesoraco left Friday night’s game against the Braves with a strained left hamstring. Mesoraco led off the top of the seventh with a single, advanced to second base on a wild pitch, and scored on Billy Hamilton‘s double. MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon says Mesoraco appeared to trip rounding third base. Mesoraco didn’t take the field for the bottom half of the inning, as he was instead replaced by Brayan Pena.
It sounds like the injury could require a stint on the disabled list. Catcher Tucker Barnhart was taken out of Louisville’s lineup in the seventh inning of Friday night’s Triple-A affair against Syracuse. Should Mesoraco need to hit the DL, Pena would take over on an everyday basis and Barnhart would be the back-up.
Mesoraco has been on fire to start the 2014 season, carrying a 1.338 OPS in 50 plate appearances for the Reds.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 13
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 217
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 140
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (235)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (141)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)