Apr 25, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
C. Trent Rosecrans reports that Reds catcher Devin Mesoraco left Friday night’s game against the Braves with a strained left hamstring. Mesoraco led off the top of the seventh with a single, advanced to second base on a wild pitch, and scored on Billy Hamilton‘s double. MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon says Mesoraco appeared to trip rounding third base. Mesoraco didn’t take the field for the bottom half of the inning, as he was instead replaced by Brayan Pena.
It sounds like the injury could require a stint on the disabled list. Catcher Tucker Barnhart was taken out of Louisville’s lineup in the seventh inning of Friday night’s Triple-A affair against Syracuse. Should Mesoraco need to hit the DL, Pena would take over on an everyday basis and Barnhart would be the back-up.
Mesoraco has been on fire to start the 2014 season, carrying a 1.338 OPS in 50 plate appearances for the Reds.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 9
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 14
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 75
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)