Apr 25, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
C. Trent Rosecrans reports that Reds catcher Devin Mesoraco left Friday night’s game against the Braves with a strained left hamstring. Mesoraco led off the top of the seventh with a single, advanced to second base on a wild pitch, and scored on Billy Hamilton‘s double. MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon says Mesoraco appeared to trip rounding third base. Mesoraco didn’t take the field for the bottom half of the inning, as he was instead replaced by Brayan Pena.
It sounds like the injury could require a stint on the disabled list. Catcher Tucker Barnhart was taken out of Louisville’s lineup in the seventh inning of Friday night’s Triple-A affair against Syracuse. Should Mesoraco need to hit the DL, Pena would take over on an everyday basis and Barnhart would be the back-up.
Mesoraco has been on fire to start the 2014 season, carrying a 1.338 OPS in 50 plate appearances for the Reds.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 3
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 32
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 9
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 51
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)