Apr 26, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
Tigers hurler Anibal Sanchez left his start on Saturday against the Twins in the third inning due to a blister on his right middle finger, the Detroit Free Press reports. Sanchez had a 3-2 count on Twins second baseman Brian Dozier before departing. Jose Ortega took the mound in relief and finished the plate appearance by walking Dozier. The walk was charged to Sanchez.
Sanchez didn’t allow a hit to the Twins over 2 2/3 innings, walking two and striking out two.
The injury isn’t considered serious. Since the Tigers have off-days on Monday and Thursday, Drew Smyly could remain in the rotation while Sanchez’s spot in the rotation is skipped over, but that may not be necessary.
Update (7:00 PM): Sanchez does need a stint on the disabled list. The Tigers placed him on the 15-day disabled list and called up Justin Miller from Triple-A Toledo.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 4
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 14
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 56
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)