Apr 27, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Playing third base for the second consecutive game on his rehab assignment with the Class-A Frederick Keys, Manny Machado went 4-for-4 on Sunday against the Carolina Mudcats. He doubled twice, stole a base, scored twice, and knocked in two runs. Machado is now 8-for-12 overall since beginning his rehab on Friday.
Machado will serve as the Keys’ designated hitter on Monday, but should return to the field on Tuesday. If all continues to go well, he could rejoin the Orioles for their weekend series in Minnesota against the Twins.
Machado, 21, underwent knee surgery in mid-October and has been working his way back ever since. He ruptured the medial patellofemoral ligament in his left knee in September.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 113
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 155
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (172)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (155)