Apr 27, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Playing third base for the second consecutive game on his rehab assignment with the Class-A Frederick Keys, Manny Machado went 4-for-4 on Sunday against the Carolina Mudcats. He doubled twice, stole a base, scored twice, and knocked in two runs. Machado is now 8-for-12 overall since beginning his rehab on Friday.
Machado will serve as the Keys’ designated hitter on Monday, but should return to the field on Tuesday. If all continues to go well, he could rejoin the Orioles for their weekend series in Minnesota against the Twins.
Machado, 21, underwent knee surgery in mid-October and has been working his way back ever since. He ruptured the medial patellofemoral ligament in his left knee in September.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)