Apr 27, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT
Maybin suffered a ruptured biceps tendon while diving for a ball in a March 2 game in the Cactus League. The initial timetable had him missing close to three months, but he progressed much more quickly than expected and is in the San Diego starting lineup on Sunday afternoon against the host Nationals.
The Padres optioned reliever Kevin Quackebush to Triple-A El Paso to open up a 25-man roster spot.
Maybin was limited to 14 games in 2013 due to wrist and shoulder injuries.
The 27-year-old is under contract through 2017 and still owed $21 million guaranteed.
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 0
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 43
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)