Apr 27, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT
Maybin suffered a ruptured biceps tendon while diving for a ball in a March 2 game in the Cactus League. The initial timetable had him missing close to three months, but he progressed much more quickly than expected and is in the San Diego starting lineup on Sunday afternoon against the host Nationals.
The Padres optioned reliever Kevin Quackebush to Triple-A El Paso to open up a 25-man roster spot.
Maybin was limited to 14 games in 2013 due to wrist and shoulder injuries.
The 27-year-old is under contract through 2017 and still owed $21 million guaranteed.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 96
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 71
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 44
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (98)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (84)
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. (76)