Apr 27, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT
Maybin suffered a ruptured biceps tendon while diving for a ball in a March 2 game in the Cactus League. The initial timetable had him missing close to three months, but he progressed much more quickly than expected and is in the San Diego starting lineup on Sunday afternoon against the host Nationals.
The Padres optioned reliever Kevin Quackebush to Triple-A El Paso to open up a 25-man roster spot.
Maybin was limited to 14 games in 2013 due to wrist and shoulder injuries.
The 27-year-old is under contract through 2017 and still owed $21 million guaranteed.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (247)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)