Apr 27, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT
Maybin suffered a ruptured biceps tendon while diving for a ball in a March 2 game in the Cactus League. The initial timetable had him missing close to three months, but he progressed much more quickly than expected and is in the San Diego starting lineup on Sunday afternoon against the host Nationals.
The Padres optioned reliever Kevin Quackebush to Triple-A El Paso to open up a 25-man roster spot.
Maybin was limited to 14 games in 2013 due to wrist and shoulder injuries.
The 27-year-old is under contract through 2017 and still owed $21 million guaranteed.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 20
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 76
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (77)