Apr 27, 2014, 11:41 AM EST
Maybin suffered a ruptured biceps tendon while diving for a ball in a March 2 game in the Cactus League. The initial timetable had him missing close to three months, but he progressed much more quickly than expected and is in the San Diego starting lineup on Sunday afternoon against the host Nationals.
The Padres optioned reliever Kevin Quackebush to Triple-A El Paso to open up a 25-man roster spot.
Maybin was limited to 14 games in 2013 due to wrist and shoulder injuries.
The 27-year-old is under contract through 2017 and still owed $21 million guaranteed.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)