Apr 27, 2014, 8:49 AM EDT
It’s all still clicking for the Milwaukee Brewers.
Marco Estrada pitched into the eighth inning, striking out a season-high nine batters, and Khris Davis went yard in the sixth inning for his third home run of the year as the Brew Crew rolled to a 5-3 victory over the Cubs on Saturday at Miller Park.
The game got off on a scary note when Ryan Braun accidentally struck Jean Segura in the face with a bat while doing warmup swings on the dugout steps in the bottom of the first inning, but Segura suffered only a gash and is not expected to need a disabled list stint. Braun then left the game in the ninth inning with an intercostal strain, but it’s considered mild and he shouldn’t be out long.
Brewers closer Francisco Rodriguez closed out Saturday’s win for his MLB-best 11th save.
Milwaukee is 18-6 with baseball’s largest division lead — by far — at 5 1/2 games.
Your Saturday box scores and recaps:
Royals 2, Orioles 3 (10 innings)
Marlins 7, Mets 6 (10 innings)
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)