Apr 27, 2014, 8:49 AM EST
It’s all still clicking for the Milwaukee Brewers.
Marco Estrada pitched into the eighth inning, striking out a season-high nine batters, and Khris Davis went yard in the sixth inning for his third home run of the year as the Brew Crew rolled to a 5-3 victory over the Cubs on Saturday at Miller Park.
The game got off on a scary note when Ryan Braun accidentally struck Jean Segura in the face with a bat while doing warmup swings on the dugout steps in the bottom of the first inning, but Segura suffered only a gash and is not expected to need a disabled list stint. Braun then left the game in the ninth inning with an intercostal strain, but it’s considered mild and he shouldn’t be out long.
Brewers closer Francisco Rodriguez closed out Saturday’s win for his MLB-best 11th save.
Milwaukee is 18-6 with baseball’s largest division lead — by far — at 5 1/2 games.
Your Saturday box scores and recaps:
Royals 2, Orioles 3 (10 innings)
Marlins 7, Mets 6 (10 innings)
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)