Apr 28, 2014, 12:32 PM EDT
To be fair, there are good ones here too, but I think people have a lot more fun talking about the bad announcing teams.
Here is Awful Announcing’s list. I don’t take serious issue with most of it. My personal least favorite, as well as the least-favorite of the Awful Announcing readers, is the Hawk Harrelson-led White Sox broadcasts. I understand he’s polarizing — a lot of White Sox fans love him — but nah, never gonna come around on that.
I have no idea how the Braves are as high as 21. I watch more Braves games than any other team’s so I am sort of acclimated to their awfulness, but when I think about it I am stuck by just how annoying they can be. I’m assuming Braves fans stuffed the ballot box. I think the Reds are too high too. They’re only watchable when George Grande calls the games and that’s pretty seldom these days compared to Thom Brennaman who is just horrifying.
I see the Tigers second-most after the Braves, and while I don’t necessarily love Mario and Rod personally — not sure I’d have them at 11 — I totally get their appeal. Particularly the stuff about them not taking things too seriously. The analysis is often kind of derpy, but they get the tone right and that’s important when you watch dozens of games.
The top five — which you have to go click on to see ranked — is hard to argue with, even if you quibble with the particular order.
Are reader polls scientific? No, but the comments Awful Announcing collected all seem pretty astute and mostly constructive.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)