Apr 28, 2014, 12:32 PM EST
To be fair, there are good ones here too, but I think people have a lot more fun talking about the bad announcing teams.
Here is Awful Announcing’s list. I don’t take serious issue with most of it. My personal least favorite, as well as the least-favorite of the Awful Announcing readers, is the Hawk Harrelson-led White Sox broadcasts. I understand he’s polarizing — a lot of White Sox fans love him — but nah, never gonna come around on that.
I have no idea how the Braves are as high as 21. I watch more Braves games than any other team’s so I am sort of acclimated to their awfulness, but when I think about it I am stuck by just how annoying they can be. I’m assuming Braves fans stuffed the ballot box. I think the Reds are too high too. They’re only watchable when George Grande calls the games and that’s pretty seldom these days compared to Thom Brennaman who is just horrifying.
I see the Tigers second-most after the Braves, and while I don’t necessarily love Mario and Rod personally — not sure I’d have them at 11 — I totally get their appeal. Particularly the stuff about them not taking things too seriously. The analysis is often kind of derpy, but they get the tone right and that’s important when you watch dozens of games.
The top five — which you have to go click on to see ranked — is hard to argue with, even if you quibble with the particular order.
Are reader polls scientific? No, but the comments Awful Announcing collected all seem pretty astute and mostly constructive.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)