Apr 28, 2014, 12:32 PM EDT
To be fair, there are good ones here too, but I think people have a lot more fun talking about the bad announcing teams.
Here is Awful Announcing’s list. I don’t take serious issue with most of it. My personal least favorite, as well as the least-favorite of the Awful Announcing readers, is the Hawk Harrelson-led White Sox broadcasts. I understand he’s polarizing — a lot of White Sox fans love him — but nah, never gonna come around on that.
I have no idea how the Braves are as high as 21. I watch more Braves games than any other team’s so I am sort of acclimated to their awfulness, but when I think about it I am stuck by just how annoying they can be. I’m assuming Braves fans stuffed the ballot box. I think the Reds are too high too. They’re only watchable when George Grande calls the games and that’s pretty seldom these days compared to Thom Brennaman who is just horrifying.
I see the Tigers second-most after the Braves, and while I don’t necessarily love Mario and Rod personally — not sure I’d have them at 11 — I totally get their appeal. Particularly the stuff about them not taking things too seriously. The analysis is often kind of derpy, but they get the tone right and that’s important when you watch dozens of games.
The top five — which you have to go click on to see ranked — is hard to argue with, even if you quibble with the particular order.
Are reader polls scientific? No, but the comments Awful Announcing collected all seem pretty astute and mostly constructive.
- Triples Machine: After a decade in the minors Royals rookie Paulo Orlando is demolishing triples records 5
- What Bryan Price’s rant was really all about 49
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 23
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 30
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 9
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 69
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 41
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (111)