Apr 28, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT
Showing that excellent defense can only get you so far, the Blue Jays have demoted infielder Ryan Goins to Triple-A Buffalo. Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca reports that the club will call up Chris Getz tomorrow to take his place on the active roster.
Goins, 26, hit just .150 with two-extra base hits and a 13/4 K/BB ratio in 66 plate appearances while making starts between second base and shortstop. He’s highly regarded for his glove, but that’s just not good enough to justify his place as a regular.
Getz hit .309 (21-for-68) with two doubles, nine RBI, and six stolen bases over 18 games in Triple-A and should get the majority of the playing time at second base for now. The 30-year-old owns a .251/.310/.309 batting line in the majors.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 54
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 65
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)