Apr 28, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Chicago White Sox rookie first baseman Jose Abreu and Seattle Mariners third baseman Kyle Seager have been named the American League Co-Players of the Week. Philadelphia Phillies catcher Carlos Ruiz has been named National League Player of the Week.
Abreu batted .310 (9-for-29) with one double, five homers, 14 RBI and eight runs scored in seven games. first in RBI and total bases (25) and tied Seager for tops overall in home runs. Seager batted .409 (9-for-22) with five homers with 11 RBI over six games. Among Major League hitters, Kyle was first in slugging percentage (1.091), second in total bases (24) and third overall in RBI.
Ruiz went 11-for-22 and had a .593 on-base percentage for the week with seven RBI while collecting 20 total bases.
We don’t always keep track of Player of the Week stuff around here, but given that half of the baseball Internet has spent today talking up April results as if they mean something, we have no problem talking up a week’s worth of results here.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 4
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 3
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20