Apr 28, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
White Sox first baseman Jose Abreu smacked his 10th home run yesterday and the rookie from Cuba now holds the MLB record for the most April homers and the most April RBIs (31) by a rookie in baseball history.
Albert Pujols previously held the rookie RBI record with 27 and Pujols, Carlos Delgado, and Kent Hrbek held the rookie homer record with nine apiece. Scott Merkin of MLB.com notes that Abreu is also the first player in baseball history to have four or more RBIs four times in his first 26 career games.
Beyond the rookie marks, Abreu leads the American League in homers, RBIs, and slugging percentage while ranking sixth in OPS and suddenly the White Sox’s six-year, $68 million investment in the 27-year-old looks like it might be one of the shrewdest moves of the offseason.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Monday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:10pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)