Apr 28, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
White Sox first baseman Jose Abreu smacked his 10th home run yesterday and the rookie from Cuba now holds the MLB record for the most April homers and the most April RBIs (31) by a rookie in baseball history.
Albert Pujols previously held the rookie RBI record with 27 and Pujols, Carlos Delgado, and Kent Hrbek held the rookie homer record with nine apiece. Scott Merkin of MLB.com notes that Abreu is also the first player in baseball history to have four or more RBIs four times in his first 26 career games.
Beyond the rookie marks, Abreu leads the American League in homers, RBIs, and slugging percentage while ranking sixth in OPS and suddenly the White Sox’s six-year, $68 million investment in the 27-year-old looks like it might be one of the shrewdest moves of the offseason.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Monday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:10pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)