Apr 28, 2014, 5:08 PM EDT
Mat Latos has yet to pitch this season because of spring training knee surgery followed by a flexor mass strain, but the Reds right-hander is hoping to resume throwing off a mound by the end of this week.
John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that there’s still no official timetable for Latos’ return to the Reds’ rotation and he’ll no doubt need a minor-league rehab assignment before getting back to the majors. He suffered the arm injury on April 11 while doing a throwing program on the road back from knee surgery and has already advanced to playing catch off flat ground. Latos tossed 211 innings last season for his fourth straight year with 30-plus starts and 185-plus innings, posting a combined 3.27 ERA during that span.
According to Latos a mid-to-late-May return “would be fantastic” so for now that’s the best-case scenario.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 18
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)