Apr 28, 2014, 5:08 PM EDT
Mat Latos has yet to pitch this season because of spring training knee surgery followed by a flexor mass strain, but the Reds right-hander is hoping to resume throwing off a mound by the end of this week.
John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that there’s still no official timetable for Latos’ return to the Reds’ rotation and he’ll no doubt need a minor-league rehab assignment before getting back to the majors. He suffered the arm injury on April 11 while doing a throwing program on the road back from knee surgery and has already advanced to playing catch off flat ground. Latos tossed 211 innings last season for his fourth straight year with 30-plus starts and 185-plus innings, posting a combined 3.27 ERA during that span.
According to Latos a mid-to-late-May return “would be fantastic” so for now that’s the best-case scenario.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 6
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 35
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 44
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 28
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 46
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)