Apr 28, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
The Padres announced late this afternoon that second baseman Jedd Gyorko was placed on the paternity leave list. According to Dennis Lin of UT-San Diego, Gyorko’s wife, Karley, is due to give birth to twin boys.
Gyorko is permitted to be away from the team from 24-72 hours. The expectation is that he will return when the Padres begin a three-game series against the Diamondbacks at home this Friday.
This has already been a big month for Gyorko, as he agreed to a five-year, $35 million extension with the Padres just two weeks ago. The 25-year-old is off to a slow start at the plate this season, slashing .144/218/.211 with one home run and nine RBI over 26 games.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)