Apr 28, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
The Padres announced late this afternoon that second baseman Jedd Gyorko was placed on the paternity leave list. According to Dennis Lin of UT-San Diego, Gyorko’s wife, Karley, is due to give birth to twin boys.
Gyorko is permitted to be away from the team from 24-72 hours. The expectation is that he will return when the Padres begin a three-game series against the Diamondbacks at home this Friday.
This has already been a big month for Gyorko, as he agreed to a five-year, $35 million extension with the Padres just two weeks ago. The 25-year-old is off to a slow start at the plate this season, slashing .144/218/.211 with one home run and nine RBI over 26 games.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 27
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 57
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)