Apr 28, 2014, 7:29 PM EST
The Padres announced late this afternoon that second baseman Jedd Gyorko was placed on the paternity leave list. According to Dennis Lin of UT-San Diego, Gyorko’s wife, Karley, is due to give birth to twin boys.
Gyorko is permitted to be away from the team from 24-72 hours. The expectation is that he will return when the Padres begin a three-game series against the Diamondbacks at home this Friday.
This has already been a big month for Gyorko, as he agreed to a five-year, $35 million extension with the Padres just two weeks ago. The 25-year-old is off to a slow start at the plate this season, slashing .144/218/.211 with one home run and nine RBI over 26 games.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 23
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 18
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (74)