Apr 28, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
The Padres announced late this afternoon that second baseman Jedd Gyorko was placed on the paternity leave list. According to Dennis Lin of UT-San Diego, Gyorko’s wife, Karley, is due to give birth to twin boys.
Gyorko is permitted to be away from the team from 24-72 hours. The expectation is that he will return when the Padres begin a three-game series against the Diamondbacks at home this Friday.
This has already been a big month for Gyorko, as he agreed to a five-year, $35 million extension with the Padres just two weeks ago. The 25-year-old is off to a slow start at the plate this season, slashing .144/218/.211 with one home run and nine RBI over 26 games.
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 44
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 53
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 30
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Royals’ bullpen blows no-hit bid in the eighth inning against the Tigers 7
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs 93
- Video: Remembering Rickey Henderson’s record-setting stolen base 31
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)