Apr 28, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Just in case anyone thought the Red Sox might have considered making a run at re-signing shortstop Stephen Drew now that he remains a free agent one month into the season, Rob Bradford of WEEI.com says it’s not happening.
According to Bradford “at no point this season have the Red Sox re-engaged in talks” with Drew, who hit .253 with 13 homers and a .777 OPS in 124 games for Boston last season before being replaced by Xander Bogaerts this year.
At this point it seems likely that Drew and fellow unsigned free agent Kendrys Morales will wait until after the June draft to sign, because then teams wouldn’t be required to forfeit draft picks. In the meantime, remember those reports that agent Scott Boras had a three-year, $39 million offer on the table for Drew? Haven’t seen any more of those in a while.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 18
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)