Apr 28, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT
With David Freese gone and Matt Carpenter shifting to third base, Kolten Wong was handed the Cardinals’ second base job this spring. He just lost it: after hitting a mere .225/.276/.268 with five RBI in his first 20 games, the Cardinals have sent him down to Triple-A Memphis.
The Cardinals sent Shane Robinson down too and, to take his and Wong’s places on the roster, called up outfielder Randal Grichuk and infielder Greg Garcia. Grichuk has been raking in the minors and can play all three outfield positions. Garcia will provide depth, with Mark Ellis presumably now getting all the time at second base.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 115
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 155
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (173)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (156)