Apr 28, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT
With David Freese gone and Matt Carpenter shifting to third base, Kolten Wong was handed the Cardinals’ second base job this spring. He just lost it: after hitting a mere .225/.276/.268 with five RBI in his first 20 games, the Cardinals have sent him down to Triple-A Memphis.
The Cardinals sent Shane Robinson down too and, to take his and Wong’s places on the roster, called up outfielder Randal Grichuk and infielder Greg Garcia. Grichuk has been raking in the minors and can play all three outfield positions. Garcia will provide depth, with Mark Ellis presumably now getting all the time at second base.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)