Apr 28, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT
With David Freese gone and Matt Carpenter shifting to third base, Kolten Wong was handed the Cardinals’ second base job this spring. He just lost it: after hitting a mere .225/.276/.268 with five RBI in his first 20 games, the Cardinals have sent him down to Triple-A Memphis.
The Cardinals sent Shane Robinson down too and, to take his and Wong’s places on the roster, called up outfielder Randal Grichuk and infielder Greg Garcia. Grichuk has been raking in the minors and can play all three outfield positions. Garcia will provide depth, with Mark Ellis presumably now getting all the time at second base.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)