Apr 28, 2014, 8:54 AM EST
With David Freese gone and Matt Carpenter shifting to third base, Kolten Wong was handed the Cardinals’ second base job this spring. He just lost it: after hitting a mere .225/.276/.268 with five RBI in his first 20 games, the Cardinals have sent him down to Triple-A Memphis.
The Cardinals sent Shane Robinson down too and, to take his and Wong’s places on the roster, called up outfielder Randal Grichuk and infielder Greg Garcia. Grichuk has been raking in the minors and can play all three outfield positions. Garcia will provide depth, with Mark Ellis presumably now getting all the time at second base.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)