Apr 28, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT
With David Freese gone and Matt Carpenter shifting to third base, Kolten Wong was handed the Cardinals’ second base job this spring. He just lost it: after hitting a mere .225/.276/.268 with five RBI in his first 20 games, the Cardinals have sent him down to Triple-A Memphis.
The Cardinals sent Shane Robinson down too and, to take his and Wong’s places on the roster, called up outfielder Randal Grichuk and infielder Greg Garcia. Grichuk has been raking in the minors and can play all three outfield positions. Garcia will provide depth, with Mark Ellis presumably now getting all the time at second base.
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 0
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 86
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 71
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 70
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 73
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)