Jul 12, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
Heartbreaking news to pass along. According to Adam McCalvy of MLB.com, Brewers manager Ron Roenicke just announced that shortstop Jean Segura has returned to his native Dominican Republic following the death of his nine-month-old son yesterday.
Segura has been placed on the bereavement list while Elian Herrera has been called up from Triple-A Nashville. Baseball isn’t even on the radar at a time like this, so the Brewers will obviously give him all the time he needs.
Our thoughts go out to Segura and his family.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)