Jul 12, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
Heartbreaking news to pass along. According to Adam McCalvy of MLB.com, Brewers manager Ron Roenicke just announced that shortstop Jean Segura has returned to his native Dominican Republic following the death of his nine-month-old son yesterday.
Segura has been placed on the bereavement list while Elian Herrera has been called up from Triple-A Nashville. Baseball isn’t even on the radar at a time like this, so the Brewers will obviously give him all the time he needs.
Our thoughts go out to Segura and his family.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)