Jul 12, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
Heartbreaking news to pass along. According to Adam McCalvy of MLB.com, Brewers manager Ron Roenicke just announced that shortstop Jean Segura has returned to his native Dominican Republic following the death of his nine-month-old son yesterday.
Segura has been placed on the bereavement list while Elian Herrera has been called up from Triple-A Nashville. Baseball isn’t even on the radar at a time like this, so the Brewers will obviously give him all the time he needs.
Our thoughts go out to Segura and his family.
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 16
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 9
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 26
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)