Oct 1, 2014, 11:54 PM EST
After Wednesday’s 8-0 loss, it’s time for the Pirates to start thinking about next year.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:15 PM EST
Starting pitchers Francisco Liriano and Gerrit Cole off the Wild Card game roster, which is fairly typical.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:01 PM EST
Here’s how far Edinson Volquez has come in one year: Last season he posted a 5.71 ERA and allowed the most earned runs in the league.
Sep 28, 2014, 9:44 AM EST
There are still three undecided races heading into the final day of the regular season: the American League Central, the National League Central, and the second American League Wild Card spot. Let’s get weird.
Sep 27, 2014, 11:10 PM EST
The Pirates and Cardinals go into the final game of the season still vying for the NL Central title.
Sep 27, 2014, 5:34 PM EST
With the loss by the Pirates, the Cardinals can clinch the National League Central with a win over the Diamondbacks tonight.
Sep 24, 2014, 7:08 AM EST
Andrew McCutchen and the Pirates light a victory cigar as they clinch their second straight playoff appearance.
Sep 8, 2014, 6:47 AM EST
A third of all of yesterday’s games were shutouts. Three dudes had two-homer games. Happy 2014.
Sep 7, 2014, 6:55 PM EST
Gerrit Cole got the win in Sunday’s start against the Cubs. Oh, and he also hit his first major league home run. All in a day’s work.
Sep 1, 2014, 6:31 PM EST
The Brewers have had at least a share of first place since April 4.
Aug 20, 2014, 3:15 PM EST
Gerrit Cole’s lengthy minor-league rehab assignment is over and the Pirates have activated the former No. 1 overall pick from the disabled list for tonight’s start against the Braves.
Aug 19, 2014, 11:02 AM EST
But I suppose someone — two someones, actually — has to win this ugly thing.
Aug 17, 2014, 2:57 PM EST
The Pirates have lost four straight games and would not have a spot in the playoffs if the regular season ended today, but a big boost is coming this week. Tom Singer of MLB.com reports that right-hander Gerrit Cole is due back from the disabled list on Wednesday.
Aug 12, 2014, 6:29 PM EST
Pirates right-hander Gerrit Cole was dominant in a rehab start Sunday at Triple-A Indianapolis, allowing just one hit over six scoreless innings. But he only made it to 73 pitches in that outing so the Bucs will have him make one more appearance in the minor leagues.
Aug 11, 2014, 10:02 AM EST
Gerrit Cole allowed five runs on 10 hits over 4 2/3 innings in a rehab start last week, but the Pirates insisted they weren’t worried about those results and it appears that their confidence was well-placed.
Aug 7, 2014, 1:20 PM EST
Cole gave up five runs on 10 hits in 4.2 innings, but manager Clint Hurdle spun things in a less negative light by saying that he was told to focus on repeating his delivery rather than getting batters out.
Aug 5, 2014, 11:21 PM EST
Gerrit Cole was scratched from a scheduled rehab outing last Friday night at Triple-A Indianapolis, with Pirates general manager Neal Huntington claiming that the right-hander needed to “refine some things.” The extra work on the side didn’t do much good.
Aug 2, 2014, 9:31 AM EST
Pirates right-hander Gerrit Cole has been sidelined for nearly a month with a lat strain.
Jul 29, 2014, 12:18 PM EST
On the disabled list with a strained lat muscle, Pirates right-hander Gerrit Cole tossed five shutout innings Monday in a minor-league rehab start at Triple-A.
Jul 11, 2014, 10:35 PM EST
Pirates manager Clint Hurdle doesn’t expect Gerrit Cole to return to the club shortly after the All-Star break.
Jul 8, 2014, 12:16 PM EST
Francisco Liriano’s first minor-league rehab start may end up being his last minor-league rehab start, because the Pirates left-hander was dominant last night at Triple-A.
Jul 8, 2014, 11:19 AM EST
Friday’s start was Gerrit Cole’s third outing since returning from a disabled list stint for shoulder fatigue, but he exited after five innings with a strained lat muscle and is now back on the shelf.
Jul 4, 2014, 7:55 PM EST
Gerrit Cole left Friday’s start against the Phillies with right lat soreness. The Pirates will evaluate him on Saturday.
Jun 28, 2014, 1:55 PM EST
The Pirates have activated Gerrit Cole from the disabled list in time for Saturday’s start against the Mets.
Jun 25, 2014, 11:51 AM EST
Gerrit Cole wasn’t ready to come off the disabled list when eligible last week, but the Pirates right-hander is now recovered enough from his shoulder problems to rejoin the rotation Saturday versus the Mets.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 7
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 276
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (275)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)