Feb 25, 2015, 2:56 PM EST
Also: who is the Cuban Derek Jeter?
Feb 23, 2015, 6:22 PM EST
Rays pitcher Drew Smyly says it’s unfair that a 19-year-old from the United States can’t get a similar bonus as Yoan Moncada.
Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties
Feb 23, 2015, 10:08 AM EST
Boston spends $63 million on an elite, 19-year-old infield prospect.
Feb 18, 2015, 4:02 PM EST
This describes any given seven-year stretch in most of our lives, though, right?
Feb 17, 2015, 9:04 PM EST
Cuban slugger Yasmany Tomas commanded a $68.5 million contract from the Diamondbacks in November and Yoan Moncada has been drawing most of the headlines lately, but Hector Olivera appears poised to beat his fellow countrymen at the signing table.
Feb 14, 2015, 5:28 PM EST
We have been hearing about Cuban infielder Yoan Moncada for months, but it sounds like the situation is finally getting close to a resolution.
Feb 10, 2015, 5:02 PM EST
He last played in the bigs in 2013. He played in Korea last year until being kicked off his team for “disrespectful conduct.”
Feb 9, 2015, 12:02 PM EST
Moncada has held private workouts for interested teams and the 19-year-old is expected to land a big contract, perhaps in excess of $40 million.
Feb 9, 2015, 7:54 AM EST
He’ll be a player-manager for a Japanese independent team.
Feb 5, 2015, 9:58 PM EST
The Padres currently project to be around $89 million for 2015, but GM A.J. Preller still has some wiggle room with his budget.
Feb 3, 2015, 3:38 PM EST
At long last, the 19-year-old infielder is free to sign a deal.
Feb 1, 2015, 4:11 PM EST
Badler writes that Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez and assistant GM John Coppolella were both in attendance, along with a number of special assistants and the organization’s top two scouts.
Jan 31, 2015, 10:10 AM EST
While MLB still needs to give their approval, it appears that Cuban infielder Yoan Moncada is one step closer to finally signing with a team.
Jan 29, 2015, 10:50 PM EST
High-spending teams like the Yankees and Red Sox are among the favorites to sign Cuban infielder Yoan Moncada, but the Rays are also interested even if it’s fair to call them a long shot.
Jan 28, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
Complications with new regulations may soon be ironed out.
Jan 27, 2015, 12:30 PM EST
The league now requires Cuban players to get a much more difficult to obtain clearance to sign than even the federal government requires.
Jan 24, 2015, 4:01 PM EST
The Giants, Padres, Rangers, Braves, and Yankees are among the teams showing strong interest in Olivera.
Jan 21, 2015, 9:49 PM EST
Baseball America’s Ben Badler calls Heredia a “plus defender” in center field with good range and a strong throwing arm.
Jan 20, 2015, 7:48 PM EST
You probably could have assumed this one.
Jan 20, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
The Giants did the same thing over the weekend.
Jan 19, 2015, 5:55 PM EST
Count the Giants in the mix for Cuban infielder Yoan Moncada.
Jan 18, 2015, 10:26 PM EST
The Nationals have signed first baseman Kila Ka’aihue to a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training.
Jan 13, 2015, 11:14 PM EST
Moncada is waiting to be cleared for employment by the United States’ Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC). He’s also being pursued by the Yankees and Red Sox. This bidding war is going to get wild.
Jan 9, 2015, 10:03 AM EST
He can’t sign yet, however.
Dec 30, 2014, 8:28 AM EST
The second baseman has had some health issues, but has a potent bat.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (112)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)