Mar 28, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Yordano Ventura was recently named as the Royals’ Opening Day starter and he had a heck of a tuneup in his latest Cactus League outing last night.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
Archer will be the first pitcher other than David Price or James Shields to start Opening Day for the Rays since 2007.
Mar 25, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT
Yost said the way Ventura pitched in Game 6 of the 2014 World Series gave the entire team confidence that he is ready to be the leader of a pitching staff that lost James Shields this winter to free agency.
Mar 25, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Will the Padres’ bold moves lead to a playoff appearance?
Mar 20, 2015, 7:10 PM EDT
Cole Hamels figures to be a hot topic of conversation between now and the July 31 trade deadline as the Phillies continue to rebuild.
Mar 19, 2015, 2:28 PM EDT
Why doesn’t anyone believe in the defending American League champions?
Mar 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Now that David Price is out of the picture the Rays need a new Opening Day starter.
Feb 21, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
The Giants offered $5 million more to James Shields than he ultimately wound up signing for with the Padres.
Feb 13, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT
But it seems like an opt-out which is unlikely to be exercised.
Feb 12, 2015, 12:55 PM EDT
“And my No. 1 reason is winning.”
Feb 11, 2015, 10:27 PM EDT
James Shields was officially introduced as a member of the Padres on Wednesday at Petco Park …
Feb 11, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
ESPN’s Jayson Stark reported Monday that the Padres, Rangers, Dodgers, and Cardinals have “stayed in contact with Phillies on Hamels,” so perhaps those are the four teams that have made these “real” offers.
Feb 11, 2015, 4:55 PM EDT
Sources say: the Padres
Feb 11, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
It’s $75 million guaranteed with a $16 million team option
Feb 11, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Figuratively, I assume. And not, like, coming at Ruben Amaro with a crowbar.
Feb 10, 2015, 11:17 AM EDT
Don’t feel too sorry for James Shields.
Feb 10, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Shields ultimately decided to play at home in San Diego, choosing the Padres’ four-year, $75 million offer.
Feb 9, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro, Jr. said late last month that he was expecting left-hander Cole Hamels to still be with the team when the season begins. He still feels the same way today.
Feb 9, 2015, 12:02 PM EDT
Moncada has held private workouts for interested teams and the 19-year-old is expected to land a big contract, perhaps in excess of $40 million.
Feb 9, 2015, 10:31 AM EDT
A total of 11 free agents topped $50 million.
Feb 9, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Padres fans have never had a ton to get excited about. That has changed this winter.
Feb 9, 2015, 2:12 AM EDT
The Padres have reportedly signed starter James Shields to a four-year deal in the $72-76 million range.
Feb 8, 2015, 8:39 PM EDT
The Padres have reportedly made a four-year offer to James Shields believed to be between $72-80 million. Shields is expected to make a decision soon.
Feb 8, 2015, 4:25 PM EDT
It appears the Marlins are going to lose out on James Shields despite making a strong effort to sign the free agent starter. Now the club’s focus looks to be shifting to a different type of late-offseason addition.
Feb 8, 2015, 10:59 AM EDT
It’s almost a consensus by now that Shields is going to wind up in San Diego, but there are obviously other teams in the mix or the 33-year-old right-hander would have already signed with the Padres.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)